Written by Simon Morgan, HR Dept South East London and North Kent
This month’s post is about the wonder that is me, and I’m not ashamed to admit that I struggled somewhat to write it. Not because I lack confidence in the strength of my HR service, or I because I think it won’t be of interest to others, but because I’m British. For generations, children across the land have been taught that boasting about anything – performance or possessions – is just plain bad manners.
Yet in a world where employees are increasingly being measured against each other, it’s more and more important to shout about your achievements. Here’s why:
- You’ll be rewarded – you’re the only one who really knows how much you do and how hard you work, don’t expect that anyone else is really paying attention. If you’ve gone the extra mile and deserve to be rewarded, ask for it
- You’ll open more doors – if you want that promotion, make sure that the decision makers know why you’re the best person for the job; don’t assume they already know or that anyone else will tell them
- You’ll perform better – when you share your achievements with your colleagues, you’ll receive praise. This type of positive reinforcement is a powerful motivator
With this in mind, I thought I’d share some of the results of the HR Dept’s latest annual customer survey. The feedback about the HR Dept overall was overwhelmingly positive, but the scores that I’m particularly keen to shout about relate to my own personal service:
- A fantastic 9.5 / 10 for all aspects of my service
- An amazing 9.67 / 10 score for likelihood to recommend my services to other businesses
I’m delighted with these results, and am extremely grateful to all my clients who responded.
Of course, highlighting achievements is important, but so too is striving to be even better. In response to comments from clients in the survey, I’ll be doing the following over the coming year:
- Providing more information on the full range of products and services that I offer
- Running more employment law seminars on a range of topical issues, including the implications of Brexit
- Continuing to provide the same excellent HR support and advice to all my clients
Here’s hoping for even higher scores next year!